Saturday

Amr {Umar] bin Anbasah رضي الله عنه

{ Gambar Hiasan]

Jihad of ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah رضي الله عنه  Fî Sabîlillâh, ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah As-Sulami رضي الله عنه Sang Pencarian Al-Haq.

During the early days of Islam in Makkah, Amr bin Abasaرضي الله عنه h, who came from outside Makkah, was among those who were influenced by the polytheists who labeled Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ with various bad names.

Then, he mounted his horse and tried to find Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ, at that time he was hiding, avoiding the vile actions of his people. After Amr bin Abasahرضي الله عنه requested to meet Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ, he asked him several questions.

The Messenger of Allah stated that he was a Prophet sent by Allah to connect the ties of kinship, destroy idols, so that Allah would be monotheistic and not associate anything with anything.

Amr bin Abasahرضي الله عنه decided to follow the Messenger of Allah, but Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ, responded: "Indeed, you will not be able to do that today, have you not seen my condition and the condition of those around me? But, return to your family, and if you have heard that I have appeared, then come to me."

A few years later, when Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ migrated to Madinah, Amr bin Abasahرضي الله عنه knew about the matter and asked people who came from Madinah. They said, the Messenger of Allah's people in Makkah wanted to kill him but failed. Then, Amr bin Abasah rushed to Madinah to meet the Messenger of Allah again.

He asked the Messenger of Allah, Did the Messenger of Allah still remember him. The Messenger of Allah replied, "Yes, you were the one who met me in Makkah."

As a lesson from this story, see how Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ instructed Amr bin Abasahرضي الله عنه to return to his people so that he would not be tortured, since the situation of Islam in Makkah was initially not stable.

Then, due to his loyalty to Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ, a few years later, he was determined to meet the Messenger of Allah again after the situation of Islam became more secure in Madinah.

'Amr bin 'Abasah As-Sulami رضي الله عنه  His Name And Lineage

'Amr bin 'Abasah bin Khalid bin Hudzaifah as-Sulami al-Bajali [1]. It was chewed by Abu Najîh or Abu Syu'aib. He is the brother of Abu Dzar al-Ghifâri Radhiyallahu anhu from the same mother.

This name includes people who embraced Islam long ago in Makkah. Therefore, it is also classified as-Sâbiqûnal awwalîn. Even 'Amr bin 'Abasah رضي الله عنه  sees himself as the fourth person who is a Muslim, as will be revealed in the story of his Islam later [2] . Therefore, in some Islamic historical literature, he is known as rubu'ul Islam [3], a quarter of Islam, one of four people who have embraced the religion of God, because he saw Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ only with Abu Bakr ash-Shiddîqرضي الله عنه and Bilâl رضي الله عنه.

He once said, "Truly, I see myself as a quarter of Islam". [4]

‘Amr bin ‘Abasah As-Sulami رضي الله عنه  Was Protected From Shirk

Before embracing Islam, ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah as-Sulami رضي الله عنه was a serious and enthusiastic figure in seeking the truth. His nature protected him from committing shirk to Allah Azza wa Jalla. He witnessed the idols that were worshipped and glorified by the people at that time and doubted them. His heart rejected them strongly.

Imam Muslim (may Allah have mercy on him)[5] narrated the story of the conversion of ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah (may Allah be pleased with him) to Islam. In this narration, ‘Amr bin Abasah as-Sulamiرضي الله عنه  (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “When I was in the days of ignorance, I thought that people were astray and that they were not on a good path. They worshipped idols.

Then I heard a man in Makkah conveying news. So I rode my horse until I reached him. It turned out that Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) was hiding due to the harsh treatment he received from his people. I walked slowly until I finally met him in Makkah.

Then I said to him, “Who are you?”

He replied, “I am a prophet.”

I asked, “What is a prophet?”

He replied, “(A person) sent by Allah.”

I asked, “With what mission did He send you?”

He replied, "I was sent to order the kinship and the destruction of idols, and that Allah be monotheistic, not associated with anything".

Also Read Imam Ibn Mubarak

I asked, "Who are the people who are together on this belief?"

He replied, "A free man and a slave". At that time, Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه and Bilal (may Allah be pleased with him) were with him (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him). So, I

I said, "Indeed, I am following you".

The Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ Special Message to 'Amr bin 'Abasah رضي الله عنه .

After meeting Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ and expressing his Islam, 'Amr bin 'Abasah (may Allah be pleased with him) received a special message from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) which indicated his love for him. He advised, "Indeed, it is difficult for you to be with us today. Don't you see my condition and the condition of the people?" However, go back to your family. When you hear that I have won, come to me".

So, 'Amr bin "Abasah رضي الله عنه returned to his family first, until Allah Azza wa Jalla gave victory to His Messenger and His friends.

Buying to Meet Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ

'Amr bin 'Abasah رضي الله عنه remained in his village with his family. However, he was always looking for news. He said, "I asked the people when he had gone to MAdinaH". Finally, there were some people from Yathrib (Madinah) who came. I asked them, "What did the man who came (migrated) to Madinah do?" They replied, "People rushed to him. His own people wanted to kill him, but, they were powerless to do it”.

So, I went to Madinah and I met him. Then I said, “O Messenger of Allah, do you recognize me?”. He Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ, replied, “Yes, you were the one who met me first in Makkah, right?”

That was the second meeting of ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah رضي الله عنه with the person he loved and missed the most, the Prophet Muhammad Shallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam. His first meeting in Medina with him, he took advantage of to gain knowledge from him Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ. He also asked Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ about prayer and ablution.

‘Amr bin ‘Abasah رضي الله عنه migrated to Medina after the Muslims succeeded in conquering Khaibar. He missed the Battle of Badr, the Battle of Uhud, the Battle of Khandaq, and the Battle of Khaibar.

After that, he participated in the Conquest of Makkah and the siege of the Taif region with Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ and other Companions. Furthermore, he always participated in jihad fî sabîlillâh during the time of the successor caliphs Rasulullah Muhammad Shallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam. In fact, he was appointed as one of the amirs (commanders) of the Muslim forces in the Yarmuk War that occurred in the year 13 H.

Also Read Abu Ishaq As-Sabi'i Rahimahullah, And His Advice For Youth

People Who Narrate From 'Amr bin Abasah رضي الله عنه 

Imam adz-Dzahabi rahimahullah mentioned that 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud رضي الله عنه , Abu Umaamah al-Baahili رضي الله عنه, Sahl bin Sa'd رضي الله عنه, Jubair bin Nufair rahimahullah, Sa'daan bin Abi Talhah rahimahullah, Katsiiir bin Murrah rahimahullah, Dhamrah bin Hubaib rahimahullah, and others narrated hadiths through 'Amr bin Abasah Radhiyallahu anhu anhu

'Amr bin Abasah رضي الله عنه  Died

History books do not mention the year of death of 'Amr bin 'Abasah al-Bajali Radhiyallahu anhu. Al-Hâfizh Ibnu Hajar rahimahullah[7] estimated his death at the end of the caliphate of 'Uthmân Radhiyallahu anhu [8], arguing that his name was not mentioned during the time of the fitnah and the caliphate of Mu'âwiyah رضي الله عنه . God Almighty.

Umar bin Anbasah or Amr bin Anbasahرضي الله عنه was one of the companions of the Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ, who was included as the fourth person in As-Sabiqun Al-Awwalun (The First to Islam) in Makkah among adult men.

Amr bin Anbasahرضي الله عنه, or known by his kunyah name (calling) Abu Najih, is a friend who comes from Bani as Sulam, a tribe that lives quite far outside the city of Makkah.

When he was still ignorant, he had the opinion that all people at that time were in error because they believed in idols, therefore, he did not believe in idols at all. When he heard the news of a man (i.e. Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ) who liked to criticize idols in Makkah, he immediately came to Makkah to meet the Messenger of Allah, at that time he was still preaching secretly.

In a meeting at his house, he asked,

"Who are you?"

"I am a Prophet," said the Messenger of Allah.

"What is a Prophet?"

"The Messenger of Allah!!"

"Allah sent you?" Amr emphasized his question.

To be known, the Arab society at that time actually believed in Allah as the Creator and Ruler of the universe, it's just that they also believed in idols as worship, on the one hand as a link (wasilah) of their worship to Allah, on the other hand they believed that the idols could grant their requests.

After Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ confirmed it, Amrرضي الله عنه  asked again,

“For what did Allah send you?”
“So that we may believe in Allah alone and not associate anything with Him, destroy the idols and maintain the ties of brotherhood…” Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ explained.
“Who is with you?” Amr رضي الله عنه asked again.
“Free people and slaves.”

The free people that Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ meant were Abu Bakrرضي الله عنه, and the slaves that he meant were Bilal bin Rabah رضي الله عنه.

After some more discussion, Amrرضي الله عنه finally decided to embrace Islam following the message brought by the Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ. He intended to stay with the Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺin Makkah, but he said,
After some more discussion, Amr رضي الله عنه finally decided to embrace Islam following the message brought by the Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ. He intended to stay with Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ in Makkah, but he said,

"You are not able to do it yet, go back to your family. When you hear the news that I have succeeded, come to me..."

As is known, Amr bin Anbasahرضي الله عنه lived outside the city of Makkah. if he stayed with him, while he had no relatives who could protect him in Makkah, he was afraid that he would experience tortures like Bilal experienced. Therefore, he told him to stay in his hometown.

He returned to his hometown in a state of Islam, and continued to wait for news about Prophet Muhammad, Rasulullahﷺ. When he heard the news that he had migrated to Madinah, he immediately followed. Amr bin Anbasahرضي الله عنه  met him and said,

"O Messenger of Allah, do you recognize me?"

"Yes, weren't you the one who came to me in Makkah ?"

As a Prophet, Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ, of course, had a sharp memory. And his answer was very pleasing to Amr bin Anbasahرضي الله عنه , he said,

"O Messenger of Allah, teach me what Allah has taught you..."

So Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺtaught him about prayer, the times of prayer and how to perform ablution as a requirement before prayer. And he remained with Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ, fighting to defend the banner of faith until he died.

‘Amr b. ‘Abasa Sulamiرضي الله عنه reported: I, in the state of the Ignorance (before embracing Islam), used to think that the people were in error and they were not on anything (which may be called the right path) and worshipped the idols. Meanwhile, I heard of a man in Makkah who was giving news (based on his prophetic knowledge), so I sat on my ride and went to him. Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺ was at that time hiding as his people had made life hard for him. I adopted a friendly attitude (towards the Makkans and thus managed) to enter Makkah and go to him (the Holy Prophet) and

I said to him: Who are you? He said: I am a Prophet (of Allah).

I again said: Who is a Prophet? He said: (I am a Prophet in the sense that) I have been sent by Allah.

I said: What is that which you have been sent with? He said: I have been sent to join ties of relationship (with kindness and affection), to break the Idols, and to proclaim the oneness of Allah (in a manner that) nothing is to be associated with Him.

I said: Who is with you in this (in these beliefs and practices)? He said: A free man and a slave. He (the narrator) said: Abu Bakrرضي الله عنه and Bilal رضي الله عنه were there with him among those who had embraced Islam by that time.

I said: I intend to follow you. He said: During these days, you would not be able to do so. Don’t you see the (hard) conditions under which my people are living? You better go back to your people, and when you hear that I have been granted victory, you come to me.

So I went to my family. I was in my home when the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) came to Madinah. I was among my people and used to seek news and ask people when he arrived in Madinah. Then a group of people belonging to Yathrib (Madinah) came. I said (to them): How is that person getting on who has come to Madinah? They said: The people are hastening to him, while his people (the polytheists of Makkah) planned to kill him, but they could not do so. I (on hearing It) came to Madinah and went to him and said: Messenger of Allah, do you recognise me? He said: Yes, you are the same man who met me at Makkah. I said: It is so.

I again said: Prophet of Allah, tell me that which Allah has taught you and which I do not know, tell me about the prayer.

He said: Observe the dawn prayer, then stop praying when the sun is rising till it is fully up, for when it rises it comes up between the horns of Satan, and the unbelievers prostrate themselves to it at that time. Then pray, for the prayer is witnessed and attended (by angels) till the shadow becomes about the length of a lance; then cease prayer, for at that time Hell is heated up. Then, when the shadow moves forward, pray, for the prayer is witnessed and attended by angels, till you pray the afternoon prayer, then cease prayer till the sun sets, for it sets between the horns of the devil, and at that time the unbelievers prostrate themselves before it.

I said: Apostle of Allah, tell me about ablution also.

He said: None of you who uses water for ablution and rinses his mouth, snuffs up water and blows it, but the sins of his face, and his mouth, and his nostrils fall out. When he washes his face, as Allah has commanded, the sins of his face fall out from the end of his beard with water. Then (when) he washes his forearms up to the elbows, the sins of his arms fall out along with water from his fingertips. And when he wipes his head, the sins of his head fall out from the points of his hair along with water. And (when) he washes his feet up to the ankles, the sins of his feet fall out from his toes along with water. And if he stands to pray and praises Allah, lauds Him and glorifies Him with what becomes Him and shows wholehearted devotion to Allah, his sins would depart, leaving him (as innocent) as he was on the day his mother bore him.

‘Amr b. ‘Abasaرضي الله عنه narrated this hadith to Abu Umama رضي الله عنه, a Companion of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him), and Abu Umamaرضي الله عنه said to him: ‘Amr b. ‘Abasaرضي الله عنه, think what you are saying that such (a great reward) is given to a man at one place (only in the act of ablution and prayer).

Upon this, ‘Amrرضي الله عنه said: Abu Umamaرضي الله عنه, I have grown old and my bones have become weak, and I am at the door of death; what impetus is there for me to attribute a lie to Prophet Muhammad Rasulullahﷺlah and the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him)? Had I heard it from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) once, twice, or three times (even seven times), I would have never narrated it, but I have heard it from him on occasions more than these.


Selected Hadith Narrated By Amr bin Abasahرضي الله عنه,

Narrated: Amr bin Abasah From Sunan Ibn Majah

Hadith No: 283
Narrated/Authority of Amr bin Abasah
Listed in: The Chapters of Purification and its Sunnah
"The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: 'When a person performs ablution and washes his hands, his sins exit through his hands. When he washes his face, his sins will exit through his face. When he washes his forearms and wipes his head, his sins will exit through his forearms and head. When he washes his feet, his sins exit through his feet.'" (Hasan)
Hadith No: 1251
Narrated/Authority of Amr bin Abasah
Listed in: The Chapters of Establishing the Prayer and the Sunnah Regarding Them
"I came to the Messenger of Allah (saw) and said: 'Is there any time that is more beloved to Allah than another?' He said: 'Yes, the middle of the night, so pray as much as you want until dawn comes. Then refrain from praying until the sun has risen, and as long as it looks like a shield until it becomes apparent. Then pray as much as you want until a pole stands on its shadow (i.e., noon), then refrain from praying until it has crossed the zenith, for Hell is heated up at midday. Then pray as much as you want until you pray 'Asr, then refrain from praying until the sun has set, for it sets between the two horns of Satan and it rises between the two horns of Satan.'" Hasan
Hadith No: 1364
Narrated/Authority of Amr bin Abasah
Listed in: The Chapters of Establishing the Prayer and the Sunnah Regarding Them
"I came to the Messenger of Allah (saw) and said: 'O Messenger of Allah, who became a Muslim with you?' He said: 'A free man and a slave.' I said: 'Is there any hour of the night that is closer to Allah than another?' He said: 'Yes, the last hour of the night.'" Sahih
Hadith No: 2794
Narrated/Authority of Amr bin Abasah
Listed in: The Chapters on Jihad
"I came to the Prophet (saw) and said: 'O Messenger of Allah, which Jihad is best?' He said: '(That of a man) whose blood is shed and his horse is wounded.'"
Hadith No: 2812
Narrated/Authority of Amr bin Abasah
Listed in: The Chapters on Jihad
"I heard the Messenger of Allah (saw) say: 'Whoever shoots an arrow at the enemy and his arrow reaches the enemy, whether it hits him or not, that is equivalent to him freeing a slave.
alfaki albakr allatifi





Referensi : 

https://almanhaj.or.id/8324-amr-bin-abasah-as-sulami-radhiyallahu-anhu-sang-pencari-al-haq.htmlBaarakallaah Feekum: [“One who guides to something good has a reward similar to that of its doer” - Saheeh Muslim vol.3, no.4665] [This website protects the copyrights of the authors/publishers. The Content is posted on this website with implicit/explicit permission from content owners]Story of Amr bin Abasa (Radhi Allaahu Anhu) embracing Islam – Sahih MuslimSahih Muslim Book 004, Number 1812:

[1]  Siyar A’lâmin Nubalâ 2/456.

[2] Diriwayatkan oleh Imam Muslim dalam Shahihnya dalam Shalâtul Musâfirîn bâb Islâmi ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah no. 832.

[3]  as-Siyaru, 2/456; Usdul Ghâbah, hlm. 945.

[4]  Imam adz-Dzahabi meriwayatkan sanad hadits ini dalam as-Siyar. Diriwayatkan oleh Ibnu Sa’ad rahimahullah . Pentahqiq menilainya isnâdnya hasan. Lihat as-Siyar 2/459.

[5]  Diriwayatkan oleh Imam Muslim rahimahullah dalam Shahîhnya dalam Shalâtul Musâfirîn bâb Islâmi ‘Amr bin ‘Abasah no. 832.

[6]  Di sini, Beliau Shallallahu ‘alaihi wa sallam menjawab dengan jawaban yang mewakili golongan orang yang menyambut dakwah Beliau. Dan manusia secara global pada waktu itu terbagi menjadi dua: orang merdeka dan hamba sahaya.

[7]  Al-Ishaabah hlm. 1116.

[8]  Masa khilafah ‘Utsmaan bin ‘Affan z berakhir pada tahun 35 H.

[9]Kitab Sirah Nabawiyyah (Dr. Ali Muhammad As-Shallabi)jukan : 

Disusun oleh

Ustadz Abu Minhal Lc

[Disalin dari majalah As-Sunnah Edisi 02-03/Tahun XX/1437H/2016M. Diterbitkan Yayasan Lajnah Istiqomah Surakarta, Jl. Solo – Purwodadi Km.8 Selokaton Gondangrejo Solo 57183 Telp. 0271-858197 Fax 0271-858196.Kontak Pemasaran 085290093792, 08121533647, 081575792961, Redaksi 08122589079]