Thursday

Hadhrat Umar and the Fear of Allah



Hadhrat Umarwould often hold a straw in his hand and say: "I wish I were a straw like this." Sometimes he would say: "I wish my mother had not given birth to me." Once he was busy with some important work when a person came to him complaining about some petty grievance, and requested for its redress. Hadhrat Umarlashed him across his shoulders, saying: "When I sit for that purpose, you do not come to me, but when I am engaged in other important work you come with your grievances to interrupt me." The person walked away. But Hadhrat 'Umarsent for him and handing his whip over to him, said: "You lash me now to even the matter." The person said: "I forgive you for the sake of Allah ."

Image result for fear of umar al khattab to Allah
Saiyidina Umar Al Khatab RA-Righteous Leader.
Hadhrat Umarwent home, prayed a Salaah of two rakaats in repentance and reprimanded himself, saying: "O, Umar! You were low but Allah elevated you. You were wandering astray but Allahguided you. You were an ordinary person but Allah ennobled you and gave you rule over the people. Now one of them comes and asks you for redress of the wrong done to him, and you beat him? What answer have you to give before Allah ?" He kept on scolding himself thus for a very long time. Once when Hadhrat Umarwith his slave Aslam was going towards Harrah (a suburb of Madinah), on his usual rounds, he saw a distant fire in the desert. He said: "There seems to be a camp. Perhaps, it is a caravan that could not enter the town due to nightfall. Let's go and look after them and arrange for their protection during the night."

The mother and her hungry children.

When he reached there, he found a woman and some children. The children were crying. The woman had a pan of water over the fire. Hadhrat 'Umargreeted her with salaam and with her permission, went near her. Umarasked: "Why are these children crying?" The Woman replied: "Because they are hungry." Umaragain asked: "What is in the pan?" The Woman replied: "Only water, to soothe the children, so that they may go to sleep in the belief that food is being prepared for them. Ah! On the Day of Qiyaamah, Allah will judge between Umarand me, for neglecting me in my distress."

'Umar (weeping) said: "May Allahhave mercy on you! How can Umar know of your distress?"

The Woman replied: "When he is our Amir, he must keep himself informed about us." Hadhrat 'Umar returned to the town and immediately went to Baitul-Mal to fill a sack with flour, dates, fat and clothes, and also drew some money. When the sack was ready, he said to Aslam: "Now put this sack on my back, Aslam." Aslam protested: "No please, Amir-ul-Mo'mineen! I shall carry this sack."

Hadhrat 'Umarrefused to listen to Aslam, even on his persistent requests to allow him to carry the sack, and remarked: "What! Will you carry my load on the Day of Qiyaamah? I must carry this bag, for it is I who would be questioned (in the Hereafter) about this woman." Aslam most reluctantly placed the bag on Hadhrat Umar's back and he carried it with a swift pace right to the woman's tent. Aslam followed at his heels. He put a little flour and some dates and fat in the pan and began to stir. He blew (with his mouth) into the fire to kindle it.

Aslam says: "I saw the smoke passing through his thick beard." After some time, the food was ready. He himself served it to the family. After they had eaten to their fill, he made over to them the little that was left for their next meal. The children were very happy after their meal and began to play about merrily. The woman felt very grateful and remarked: "May Allah reward you for your kindness! In fact you deserve to take the place of Khalifah instead of 'Umar."

'Umarconsoled her and said: "When you come to see the Khalifah, you will find me there."
He sat for a while at a place close by and kept on watching the children. He then returned to Madinah. On his way back, he said to Aslam: "Do you know why I sat there, Aslam? I had seen them weeping in distress; I liked to see them laughing and happy for some time." It is said that Hadhrat Umarused to recite Surah Kahf, Surah Taha and other such Soorahs when leading Fajr Salah and would weep so much, that his crying could be heard way back to several rows. 
The Khalifah who care for his people.
Once he was reciting Surah 'Yusuf in Fajr, when he came to the verse: "I only compain of my distress and anguish unto Allah," (S12 : V86)
He wept so much, that he could not recite any further. In Tahajjud Salaah, he would sometimes fall to the ground and would get indisposed with excessive weeping.


Such was the fear of Allah in Hadhrat Umar , whose name struck terror in the hearts of the mightiest kings of his time. Even today, the people are filled with awe when they read about him. Is there any person in power today who is prepared to show such kindness to the people in his charge?