Monday

The Martyrdom of Umair bin Abi Waqas RA


Umair RA was a slave of Abil Lahm and was very young. Every person in those days, regardless of age, was eager to strive in the Path of Allah . 'Umair RA requested Nabi SAW to permit him to fight in the battle of Khaiber. His master also recommended him very strongly. Nabi SAW permitted him and gave him a sword, which 'Umair RA hung around his neck. Now the sword was big for his size and he had to drag it with him. He fought in the battle till it ended in victory.

As 'Umair RA was a minor and a slave, he was not allowed to a full share in the booty. However, Nabi SAW gave him a share as a very special case. 'Umair RA was so eager to fight in the battle and sought recommendations for it although he knew that he will not get any share from the booty. What could be his motive other than the reward of the Hereafter, as promised by Allah and reported by Nabi SAW.

'Umair bin Abi Waqqaas RA hides himself 'Umair bin Abi Waqqas RA was a young Sahabi who had accepted Islam in its early days. He was a brother of Sa’ad bin Abi Waqqas RA, the famous Muslim general. Sa’ad RA narrates: "At the time when were preparing to march for Badr, I noticed 'Umair RA trying somehow to hide himself. This surprised me. I said to him, 'What has happened to you? What makes you hide like this?' He replied, ’Although I desire to go and get martyred in the path of Allah , I am afraid that Nabi SAW may stop me from taking part in the battle because of my young age.’ 'Umair's fear proved just true.

Nabi SAW spotted him and then stopped him from going with the army. 'Umair RA could not bear this and began to cry. When Nabi SAW was informed of this eagerness and disappointment, he permitted him to go. He fought in the battle till he was killed." Sa’ad RA , Umair's brother, says: "The sword of Umair RA was too big for him. I had to put a number of knots in the belt, so that it might not touch the ground."


The martyrdom of ‘Umair Ibn Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه

وأخرجه ابن سعد عن سعد رضي الله عنه قال: رأيت أخي عُمَير بن أبي وقاص قبل أن يعرضنا رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم يوم بدر يتوارى، فقلت: ما لك يا أخي؟ قال: إني أخاف أن يراني رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فيستصغرني فيردّني، وأنا أحب الخروج لعلّ الله أن يرزقني الشهادة. قال: فعُرض على رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم فردَّه، فبكى فأجازه. فكان سعد رضي الله عنه يقول: فكنت أعقِد حَمائل سيفه من صِغره فقتل وهو ابن ست عشرة سنة. كذا في الإِصابة ، وأخرجه البزار، ورجاله ثقات؛ كما في المجمع

S’ad Ibn Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه narrated, “I saw my brother, ‘Umair Ibn Abi Waqqas (رضي الله عنه ) hide himself before he was presented before Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم on the occasion of battle of badr. I asked him, “O my brother! What has happened to you? ” He replied, “I fear that if the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم saw me, he would think of me to be too young and would disallow me (to go). But I love to go out (in the battle). May it be that Allah would grant me Shahadah.” But soon after that he was presented before the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم who disallowed him. He started to weep due to which he permitted him [to go out]. S’ad said, ” I tied the sword’s age. He was martyred at the age of sixteen years (only).”

Transmitted by Ibn Sa’d as given in al-Isabah vol 3 and also by Bazzar. Its narrators are reliable as given in al Majma’.